Fungal nail infections usually require no treatment. Despite the expectations raised by this website, the efficacy of Excilor® remains unproven. If there are medical reasons to treat onychomycosis, then oral terbinafine is the treatment of choice, as was also concluded in Gebu 1997; 31: 135-138 on the systemic treatment of superficial skin mycoses. The product has the status of a medical aid, which means it is subject to different, and less strict, legislation and regulations than medicines (Gebu 2013; 47: 63-69).
1. Puijenbroek EP van, et al. NHG-Standaard ’Dermatomycosen’. Huisarts Wet 2008; 51: 76-84.
2. Westerberg DP, et al. Onychomycosis: current trends in diagnosis and treatment. Am Fam Phys 2013; 88: 762-770C.
3. Informatorium Medicamentorum. Den Haag: KNMP, 2015.
4. Palliyil B, et al. A preformulation strategy for the selection of penetration enhancers for a transungual formulation. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2013; 14: 682-691.
5. Pan M, et al. Urea: a comprehensive review of the clinical literature. Dermatol Online J 2013; 19: 20392.
*The literature refers to the Dutch tekst